Rohingyas: Asalamu Alaikum,
No Name = No Existence
Burmese government is very shrewd and smart in the way they play their cards.
They are focused on making sure that no one even utters the name "Rohingya." Unfortunately they are successful in their strategy.
- They have ASEAN countries silent on the issue
- Now the UN Secretary General is going general in statement instead of mentioning the name as they did in the past
- Secretary Kerry failed to publicly mention Rohingya
President Barack Obama will be making a visit to Burma this November. We would like him to make sure that he uses the term Rohingya as opposed to Secretary John Kerry's visit where the term Rohingya was nowhere to be mentioned. President Obama powerfully stated "Rohingyas… hold within themselves the same dignity as you do, and I do" in 2012.
Burmese Government itself used to do the following:
- Rohingyas used to be citizens until 1982.
- Burmese government had a Rohingya language radio program
- Rohingyas used to vote
- Burmese Encyclopedia published by the Burmese government includes a catogary as Rohingyas.
There used to be 5 million Burmese Muslims including Rohingyas. Now only 3 million are left. What happened to the 2 million is the story of the hidden genocide.
- Your time and your dua
- Your family, their time and dua
- Your phone book
- Your email list
- Your Tweets
- Your masjid
10 Minutes a Day Actions to Take
- Call President Obama to build on his positive message of 2012 by mentioning Rohingyas in his public remarks along with other minorities at 202-456-1111.
- Tweet that you called him and ask he use the term Rohingya @BarakObama
- Call 2 friends asking them to do the same.
- Favorite their tweet
- Send an email to your relatives to follow these steps
- Donate a week's cost of coffee, soda, or snacks to BurmaMuslims.org
- Make sure that your masjid is including Rohingyas or Burmese Muslims in their dua.
- Ask masjid to use their email list to send out this action alert
- Print this action alert, copy and distribute to your friends.